Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rhysmcp  
#1 Posted : Friday, 7 December 2018 11:21:03 AM(UTC)
Rhysmcp

Groups: Member
Man
New Zealand

I Though it might be a little bit of a Dirty Word around here But has anyone had Luck with a Raspberry Pi running KODI and Retropie as a home theatre PC

Since the the PlayStation Classic has turned out to be a little bit of a bust, I was thinking about getting one of these instead

Know I know CL doesn't supply these (and if this is not banned topic tell me and I will delete) but wanting to see if anyone had experience or if there is a better way to go

Looks like a great plug and play option with is low power use

Anyway what does the Forum thinks, and remember this is Noobs friendly skill level project...

Thanks
Rhys
My build

Core i7 920@3800 | ASUS P6T Intel X58 | Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler with Noctua NF-P12 120mm | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 (6GB Kit) | Corsair 620W HX Modular Power Supply | Seagate Barracuda (500GB) 7200.12 16MB SATA II (Boot) | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 32MB 7200rpm SATAII (Storage) | LG 22X Speed Black DVD Writer | Lian-Li Lancool PC-K7B With Custom window | MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX275 TWIN FROZR OC 896MB PCI-E | 3xScythe Slip Stream 120mm Fans (1200rpm) | Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5.25" Bay 4 Channel Fan Controller | Windows 7 Pro 64 bit | Canon 40D and lens | LG W2353V-PF 23" 2ms 1080P Full HD Monitor | M-Audio AV-40 | ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX | Sennheiser HD595 Audiophile HiFi Stereo Headphones | Zalman High End Clip On Microphone | Logitech G9x Gaming Laser mouse | Razer eXactMat Mouse Pad & Wrist Pad | Cable Management By CL |

Future dreams

Blue ray drive

Old Rig
Dell 1150 laptop @1.3GHZ and 256mb ram, 20gb HDD(can you see why I need to upgrade)
Sponsor
Offline Cameron - CL  
#2 Posted : Friday, 7 December 2018 2:57:55 PM(UTC)
Cameron - CL

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Rhysmcp,

Whilst none of our staff have personally used a Raspberry Pi for this specific job, it's definitely possible and is similar to what we have used Raspberry Pi's for in the past.

I have never used RetroPie before (I have used Kodi though) but from what it looks like, RetroPie has Kodi integrated if you choose to install this during the setup via the experimental menu. Because of this, I believe RetroPie will be the best and easiest OS to install onto your Raspberry Pi for what you intend to use it for.

Whilst I could explain how to do this, I believe it is a lot better to refer to a YouTube guide as to how to install RetroPie onto a Raspberry Pi. This guide looks great:

The only thing that you will need to do differently is install Kodi also via the experimental menu whilst you are in the setup script.

Hopefully this helps you out :)

Regards,
Cameron
thanks 1 user thanked Cameron - CL for this useful post.
Rhysmcp on 9/12/2018(UTC)
Offline Rhysmcp  
#3 Posted : Sunday, 9 December 2018 1:40:54 PM(UTC)
Rhysmcp

Groups: Member
Man
New Zealand

Thanks Cameron

Don't worry since you guys dont sell them, I was expecting such a great response from you, which has convince me to give it ago, if the worst comes to worst I haven't lost much and can reuse the micro sd card in my phone.
Dancing

Was just a wanting to start conversation from other forum members, and get the forum members chatting...

I will move forward as if does work then it a cheap little thing and will be a good project over the Christmas break. At least I won't get to sunburnt this year...

Thanks again Cameron.
My build

Core i7 920@3800 | ASUS P6T Intel X58 | Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler with Noctua NF-P12 120mm | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 (6GB Kit) | Corsair 620W HX Modular Power Supply | Seagate Barracuda (500GB) 7200.12 16MB SATA II (Boot) | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 32MB 7200rpm SATAII (Storage) | LG 22X Speed Black DVD Writer | Lian-Li Lancool PC-K7B With Custom window | MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX275 TWIN FROZR OC 896MB PCI-E | 3xScythe Slip Stream 120mm Fans (1200rpm) | Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5.25" Bay 4 Channel Fan Controller | Windows 7 Pro 64 bit | Canon 40D and lens | LG W2353V-PF 23" 2ms 1080P Full HD Monitor | M-Audio AV-40 | ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX | Sennheiser HD595 Audiophile HiFi Stereo Headphones | Zalman High End Clip On Microphone | Logitech G9x Gaming Laser mouse | Razer eXactMat Mouse Pad & Wrist Pad | Cable Management By CL |

Future dreams

Blue ray drive

Old Rig
Dell 1150 laptop @1.3GHZ and 256mb ram, 20gb HDD(can you see why I need to upgrade)