Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Redauric  
#1 Posted : Sunday, 11 November 2018 11:49:31 PM(UTC)
Redauric

Groups: Member
New Zealand

Hi,

I am looking for help from the pros to build a mid-high end gaming rig (only). I don't change my gaming rig much at all, the current one I have was from 5 years ago so I plan to use this new rig as it is for possibly another 5 years at least. I am unlikely to upgrade any single component by myself as I'm not a hands on person. I already have the peripherals and a 2k monitor 75hz but will be looking to upgrade to 2k 144/165hz in the next 6 months.

1) Budget - $4000 maximum.

2) Will be used for gaming mainly.

3) Only need the rig.

4) I've been reading a lot about each component but the more I read the harder it is to make a decision so I need help. I definitely want the following:
- RTX 2080
- at least i7-8700k
- ideally 500GB SSD (Samsung EVO 970 or similar) + 2TB hard disk
- at least 16GB RAM
- z370 vs z390 motherboard
- Fan vs liquid cooling options

Some background information: I don't know how to overclock and probably won't learn to overclock in the future. RGB rig is nice but I probably choose performance over RGB if given the choice. Any help with the build is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsor
Offline Thomas - CL  
#2 Posted : Monday, 12 November 2018 9:42:47 AM(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Groups: Administration, Member
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Morning Redauric,

I have quoted up a well balanced system for you which should last you some time.

I've gone with a larger air cooler as they are both cheaper and more reliable than their water cooling countrer parts, the only part that can fail is the fan and that isn't anything major.

For the 8700k either the Z370 or Z390 would be suitable so I've gone with the Z370 as it was the cheaper option, functionality wise for your CPU both are near identical.

The S340 Elite case on your quote was chosen as it is a minimalistic and sleek looking case with good airflow and tempered glass if you feel like showing off your build :)

Have a look over the below quote and let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to make any changes.

UserPostedImage
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
860 Evo 500GB + 4TB HHD & 6TB HDD
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast
Offline Redauric  
#3 Posted : Monday, 12 November 2018 2:02:32 PM(UTC)
Redauric

New Zealand

Thank you Thomas for the super fast reply.

A few questions:
1) I plan to get the Asus ROG PG279Q monitor in the next 6 months, will the set up you suggested support G-Sync?
2) Will the suggested system have Wifi built in? If it doesn't it is not a big problem because I do have a Wifi USB stick if necessary.
3) I rate Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler with NF-A15 PWM quite highly so wondering, in your opinion, whether the NH-D15 might be an overkill since I won't be doing any overclocking work? Will this $50 saving allow a significant upgrade to the case/GPU per say? Or is the D15 going to achieve peripheral component cooling as well to justify its size and price tag?
4) Is there any performance difference between the Corsair Vengeance LPX vs RGB?

After consideration I still prefer Samsung 970 EVO instead of the 960 since I am likely to keep this SSD for as long as possible. I am committed to buying a system from you guys so would appreciate your best quote.
Offline Thomas - CL  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, 13 November 2018 11:21:36 AM(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Morning Redauric,

This setup will be compatible with G-Sync monitors, unfortunately the motherboard does not support Wi-Fi though adapters can be added in fairly easily.

I wouldn't say the D15 is overkill as the 8700k is a warm chip, it's just an upgrade and will do a better job than the U14 so will achieve the same temps quieter or better temps at the same noise level.

Due to the discounts you are already receiving on your quote the price difference to drop down to a U14 will be closer to $30 as you are not being quoted website pricing currently :)

The performance is the same for the Vengeance RAM, funnily enough as the RGB RAM is older stock it has a lower cost so is currently cheaper than the standard Dimms
(this will change in a week once new priced RAM replaces it)

I have requoted for you with the upgrade to the 970 as requested, please let me know your thoughts on the new quote.

UserPostedImage
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast
Offline Redauric  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, 13 November 2018 10:07:48 PM(UTC)
Redauric

New Zealand

Hi Thomas, I have been playing around with the custom build functionality on your website and I can't understand why the quote you have given me is quite a bit more than what your website provides. I have selected everything the same as your suggestion, except for these:
1) ASUS PRIME Z370M-PLUS II Intel Z370, DDR4, M.2 Motherboard because it wouldn't let me select the Asus PRIME Z370-P II Intel370 (which is $10 cheaper).
2) Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 instead of the RGB you suggested where the LPX is $30 cheaper than the RGB version.

The final price for the system came to $3938.90 which didn't quite make sense compared to the quote you've given me. If it would allow me to select the Asus Prime z370-P II that you have suggested the final system price will actually be $3828.90. Can you enlighten me on this? Based on the website quote I will even have $60-$70 to play around for an upgrade of maybe 1 component to hit my budget of $4000.

Thanks again for your time.

Edited by user Tuesday, 13 November 2018 10:10:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Thomas - CL  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, 14 November 2018 9:18:51 AM(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Morning Redauric,

Very rarely the system builder tool is cheaper than quotations, this usually happens when it is drawing on out of date costs/ pricing.

I would advise placing the order using the system builder as that is cheaper than what I can currently quote you.

Thank you for pointing this out, I will pass on the bug to our web team so they can update pricing to the correct values for the system builder as well.
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast
thanks 1 user thanked Thomas - CL for this useful post.
Redauric on 14/11/2018(UTC)
Offline Redauric  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, 14 November 2018 9:54:27 AM(UTC)
Redauric

New Zealand

Thank you Thomas for all your help. Order placed. Managed to get the Prime z370-A II motherboard instead and squeeze it in below the $4000 mark. Can't wait to get my hands on this unit now!

Cheers.
Offline Thomas - CL  
#8 Posted : Thursday, 15 November 2018 8:32:54 AM(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Morning Redauric,

Awesome to hear! Always happy to help and I hope you enjoy the new rig :)
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast