Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Amrit  
#1 Posted : Saturday, 25 August 2018 6:42:33 p.m.(UTC)
Amrit

Groups: Member

Hey guys,

It's really been a while since my last PC build/upgrade. Been getting back in to PC gaming lately and given how much time i spend on it now, thought i'll get a new one built rather than continue upgrading things by the component.

Current build is :
i5-4570
ga-b85m-d3h
gskill ares ddr3 2 x 8gb
samsung 180gb ssd (forget which one)
evga gtx970 SC
zm650-ebt psu

LG 27" 1080p monitor 5ms response time, 60hz

One thing i really want to do is move on to the 1440p 144-165hz Asus Predator Monitor, this i know i'll get for sure but don't know yet if it'll be the TN or IPS panel (open to advice on this too).

I primarily play Overwatch but was looking to get in to battlefield 1 also. pretty sure i wouldn't get nice FPS with my current gfx card when moving on to 1440p, so my next thought was to get the monitor and just a gfx card upgrade (evga 1070sc, or maybe 1080 for bit more future proofing?)

then after a bit of heading down that path, i felt that likely my very old CPU and slow ram is going to cause a fair bit of bottlenecking. currently i play on low and my fps dips at lowest around 130, which is ok.. i do want to have a steady 200ish fps and feeling that since i need new gfx card+cpu and faster ram+motherboard, i may as well plan to sell my old pc and build a new one from scratch.

At the moment considering something like I5-8600k or ryzen 7 1700, not really too sure which path to head down.. both seem very nice, albeit at the moment the i5-8600k performs better in games as they're not all optimized to use the extra cores/threads yet. the i5 also seems to be relatively easily overclockable to 5ghz with watercoolers which are so cheap these days. main thing holding me back is that i tend to keep my PCs for ages (as you can tell my my last build), so maybe the ryzen is more future proof?

anyways, total budget is $3k including the screen.. the less i spend the better since gaming gets on and off for me, hah. appreciate any options you can recommend and/or put together.

Cheers,
Amrit
Sponsor
Offline Thomas - CL  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, 28 August 2018 12:48:27 p.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Groups: Administration, Member
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Morning Amrit,

In order to make the upgrade worthwhile and not upgrade to a similar specced PC, you end up almost maxing out your budget with the build alone.

It might be best to perhaps leave the monitor for now as otherwise it will cut into the specs of your system if we try to bring the overall total down.

Let me know what you think about the quote and all of the above.

UserPostedImage
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
860 Evo 500GB + 4TB HHD & 6TB HDD
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast