Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bootsmakethman  
#1 Posted : Saturday, 3 March 2018 4:33:12 p.m.(UTC)
bootsmakethman

Groups: Member
New Zealand

Good day!

As the title reads, it is my first time ever building custom PC and I am in need of advice, or feedback more like. I've spent maybe the past two weeks doing my due research and here is what I've come up with (based on items from your BUILD YOUR OWN CUSTOM SYSTEM service):

Intel Coffe Lake Core i7-8700, 3.2GHz
ASUS Prime Z370-A Intel Z370, DDR4 4000MHz
Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 LPX 16GB DDR4-2666 (2x8)
Samsung 850 EVO Series 500GB M.2 SSD MZ-N5E500B
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM SATA3
EVGA GeForce GTX1070 SC2 8GB DDR5
Fractal Design Define R5 Silent Mid-tower – Black
EVGA Supernova 650W G1 80Plus Gold-Certified Fully Modular PSU

FYI, my intent for this build is for primarily some 3D modelling, animation, and audio-visual work. As well as some casual gaming from time to time. I am comfortable with the sub-$4000 price range, not including the monitor, network adapter, and other essential peripherals.

Do these components in anyone's expert opinion suit one another?

E.g.:
  • Will the H100i cooling and i7-8700 (not the 8700K) suffice alongside the case fans included in the case.

• Alternatively is the RAM sufficient?

• Do CPU parts I've listed work on the mobo?

And also, does your pricing in the BUILD YOUR OWN... include the assembly + shipping cost? How does this work since I've never done this before.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
– Jose
Sponsor
Offline Thomas - CL  
#2 Posted : Monday, 5 March 2018 9:32:50 a.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Groups: Administration, Member
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 70 post(s)
Morning bootsmakethman,

I have quoted as close as I could to your specified components where stock would allow.

As far as a balanced system goes all looks well, you may require more RAM later on for the modeling/ animation though it is the easiest component to upgrade as you can simply add another kit on.

I could also add it on to your quote for you now if you would prefer as you are still under your budget.

The H100i will be sufficient, though this has been upgraded to the H115 which is a 280mm radiator so slightly better cooling capacity again.

This quote includes assembly and warranty ( as well as operating system setup/drivers) delivery will need to be added an calculated based on location.

Have a look at the below and let me know what you think.

UserPostedImage
Offline bootsmakethman  
#3 Posted : Monday, 5 March 2018 2:01:16 p.m.(UTC)
bootsmakethman

New Zealand

Good afternoon Thomas, thanks for replying so quickly. So a few questions after reading through your reply:

Am I to understand that the original parts in my list versus the components you changed in your quote had means that they are not currently in stock?

Specifically the RAM, the SSD, HD, the GPU. I'm not terribly fussed with the physical storage you are recommending so long as they perform as well if not better than the original ones I had. More on that, would the 850 M.2 be more performant than the 2.5" 860 SSD or is it more or less the same?

The 16gb dominator RAM however appears to be a touch more expensive than the 16gb low-profile vengeance, is the difference so huge that it justifies the higher price? (Dominator is more powerful, correct?)

I also have a slight concern with the cooling unit. The H100i has a 240mm radiator and as you said the H115 is 280mm. Assuming you're installing it as an exhaust (just out of curiosity, can you confirm if this is better rather than being an intake?), will there be enough head room for the other components since the radiator is larger?

Finally, based on your list, is the PSU capable of running all of those components as it is?

Hey thanks again for reading through these, I just want to be as educated as possible before I commit.
Offline Thomas - CL  
#4 Posted : Monday, 5 March 2018 4:16:50 p.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Afternoon Bootsmakethman,

The 850 Evo M.2 does not gain any performance benefits so is actually a smidge slower.

The Dominator RAM has larger heat spreaders and are made to be pushed further than other models, that being said we could also substitute CMR RGB RAM in for a similar (slightly lower) price.

The H115 will be placed at the front of the case as an intake (can later be upgraded to a fan on each side of the radiator as a push-pull config.

The 650w will be more than enough for your system, though if you plan on running two cards in the future or a much larger single card then perhaps a 750w or above would be a better option.
Offline bootsmakethman  
#5 Posted : Monday, 5 March 2018 4:43:24 p.m.(UTC)
bootsmakethman

New Zealand

Ok I am mostly convinced about everything, just two final things I guess:

What is the availability on the Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 2tb 7200rpm HD? It's just from what I've seen it is better rated and cost wise I get more bang for my buck compared to the WD Red. What is your opinion on this?

Back to the cooling again, now that H115 will be an intake, even with all but one of the removable drive bays of the Fractal Design mid-tower, do you think this'll fit? It's just hard to imagine from a picture.

Thanks.
Offline Thomas - CL  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, 6 March 2018 9:53:06 a.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Morning Bootsmakethman,

As far as I am aware we don't currently have access to Seagate drives, they are good general use drives whereas the WD Reds are more designed as long-term storage.

If you would like to keep the drive bays in we can place the H115 as an exhaust or if it is too thick change you to a 240mm rad such as the DEEPCOOL GAMER STORM CAPTAIN 240EX RGB.

Please let me know your thoughts on all of this.
Offline bootsmakethman  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, 6 March 2018 2:05:44 p.m.(UTC)
bootsmakethman

New Zealand

Hey Thomas.

Shame about the seagate, when I was using the dropdowns on your system builder they were listed there. Regardless, if I am going to get similar read/write speed anyway, let's go with the WD Reds then.

The things pushing me towards the H115 over the Deepcool 240ex are Corsair's Link software and potentially-equal in temp. and noise performance of the bundled fans. Looking at values from reviews that I've been reading there's actually very little difference between the two, while the 240ex seem quieter, I'd happily lean towards the temp. handling since the Define R5 comes with sound dampening by default. Long story short, I think the H115i might be the way to go.

As far as the drive bays, the optical drives can go since I'm probably not going to get a disk drive. And we can leave just one HD tray for the physical drive since the SSD can be mounted behind the motherboard if I remember correctly.

Also can you confirm for me whether the Asus Z370-A have sound built in already? I'm fairly certain it doesn't have onboard wireless, but of the sound capability I'm not sure.
Offline Thomas - CL  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, 7 March 2018 2:36:40 p.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Afternoon Bootsmakethman,

I will update your quote for you and re-upload it shortly.

The Z370-A does indeed have onboard sound capabilities, were you going to hook this up to speakers or a pair of headphones?
Offline bootsmakethman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, 7 March 2018 3:12:30 p.m.(UTC)
bootsmakethman

New Zealand

Sorry for being a bother, but I kept going back and forth yesterday between the H115i and the 240EX after our conversation. From one testing that I've seen, when put up against an i7-4790K running at 4GHz and 4.6GHz, it seems there's really only a marginal difference between the two coolers, in fact in that toss-up from the same tester, deepcool comes in a touch lower in temp. when running at 4.6GHz.

Since there are third-party utilities like Speedfan out there that can act as a stand-in for the Corsair Link software, I may have to go with you previous suggestion of the Deepcool 240EX. I most likely won't break into extreme proc. speeds while I'm still only learning 3D/animation, I think I can forego the almost $100 price difference of the H115i for now, plus I can upgrade the fans to provide higher static-pressure and be a touch more quieter in the future anyway.

As for sound, I have both a 4.1+subwoofer and basic wired Apple earphones right now. Depending on whether I am gaming or concentrating on work, I'd most likely go speakers for general use if that helps.
Offline bootsmakethman  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, 7 March 2018 3:46:34 p.m.(UTC)
bootsmakethman

New Zealand

I forgot to add, looking at your prices for the Dominator ram, I might also be inclined to switch over to the DDR4-3200 variant if it's supported by the Z370-A. So my question is, will there be a discernible difference between the 2666 and 3200 one when running potentially CPU-GPU intensive programs or rendering?
Offline Thomas - CL  
#11 Posted : Thursday, 8 March 2018 11:02:17 a.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Morning Bootsmakethman,

I agree with the cooler choice as changing to Noctua fans will make a world of difference based on past experience.

In regards to the RAM, faster speeds will speed up render times (maybe not as much as increasing capacity though) and usually will benefit 1-3 frames per 200Mhz in speed gained. So you would be looking at 3-9 frames for that jump.

Offline bootsmakethman  
#12 Posted : Monday, 12 March 2018 1:47:55 p.m.(UTC)
bootsmakethman

New Zealand

Good day Thomas,

Thanks for all your advice in the past week, I think I've finally solidified a parts list to most likely purchase some time this week, namely:

Asus Prime Z370-A
Intel core i7 8700 (non-K)
Deepcool Captain 240EX (non-RGB if possible at all)
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2666 16gb 2x8
Samsung 860 EVO 500Gb
* WD Blue WD10EZEX 1Tb
Asus Strix GTX1070 08G OC
Windows 10 64-bit(?) Retail
** Corsair RM650i 650W
Fractal Design Define R5 Black

* I have also decided to remove the WD Red and swap it for a 1Tb WD Blue 7200rpm instead.
** Please note that I've decided to change the PSU to the Corsair of the same wattage due to some notable issues found in the EVGA G lineup going back to the last 2-3 years or so.

I am also looking to use your price match for all parts apart from the Dominator at that capacity as its not available anywhere else in NZ. How would I go about doing this? I've read you also take into account availability and freight when price matching.

I'm curious, if I were to add a monitor to this selection, is there a point where the combined weight of the package makes the freight free or do I have to pay for shipping as I do need it delivered? Lastly, the Dominator is labeled as dual/quad channel, does this mean if I purchase another 16Gb module or higher of the same make and speed later, it could be easily added without compatibility issues and such?
Offline alexvdl - CL  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, 14 March 2018 4:47:29 p.m.(UTC)
alexvdl - CL

Groups: Administration
Man

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Hi bootsmakethman,

Thomas has been away sick. I'll do my best to help you out in his absence.

If you're wanting to pricematch, you'd be best to send me an email with links to all the stores that you want me to match.
I will take into account their freight prices, and will offer you the best deal that we are capable of offering at the time.

You can reach me using the following email address:

alex@computerlounge.co.nz