Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DnaLunchie  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, 14 February 2018 3:51:26 PM(UTC)
DnaLunchie

Groups: Member

Hey guys

I got gaming rig built 2 years ago with the following basic bits

i7 6700 running 3.4ghz (not the k series)
stock cooling fan
a-data 2400 speed ram (16gb)
480gb 600 series intel ssd
1tb WD hdd
razor NZXT h440 case
Gigabyte G1 gtx1060 6gb gpu
Z170-AR (LGA1151) asus mobo
24 inch 75ghz viewsonic screen
Unknown power supply

Basically I have a couple goals

I am wanting to upgrade my monitor to a 27-30 inch 2k/1440p 100+ htz monitor at same stage in the next 6 months
I want to be able to run new AAA games for the next couple years in a mixture of max/high settings at 1440p as well as support an occules-rift or vive at high settings etc in the same games for a couple years.

so here are the questions:

To achieve the above goals do I need?

A new CPU? will my 6700 i7 (not K) be enough or will this be holding back the gfx card(s)?

New/more ram? The guy that built my rig did a great job but only supported Adata ram and while it is the better gaming series adata stuff I still dont know much about them as a company quality wise.... Also is 16gb enough?

What sort of GPU should I be buying? GTX 1070/ti GTX 1080/ti
Or should I wait for the next series after 10? volta I think?

It would be great if I didn't have to buy a whole new rig as I know a new CPU would cost alot but at the same time I don't want to avoid upgrades if I am going to really need them to meet my performance goals.

Edited by user Wednesday, 14 February 2018 3:54:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline Thomas - CL  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, 14 February 2018 5:05:50 PM(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Groups: Administration, Member
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Afternoon DNaLunchie,

I would definitely prioritise the GPU first as that will be the most impactful upgrade, later on I would consider going for the 7700K which will be able to handle the higher frames with a decent overclock.
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
860 Evo 500GB + 4TB HHD & 6TB HDD
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast
Offline DnaLunchie  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, 14 February 2018 6:56:52 PM(UTC)
DnaLunchie

Groups: Member

Originally Posted by: Thomas - CL Go to Quoted Post
Afternoon DNaLunchie,

I would definitely prioritise the GPU first as that will be the most impactful upgrade, later on I would consider going for the 7700K which will be able to handle the higher frames with a decent overclock.

Hey mate, thanks for that.

This rig wasn't actually built by you for some reason which I cant think of... you built my other two before it...... I don't know why?

"input from flatmate"

Oh ok apparently I was being a "impatient Banana" and found a local shop that said they were aiming to be a local version of you CL and that they could build it in 24hours so I wouldn't have to wait for you to ship it to me from Aucks.......

I wont name names because their build was okay I guess but never had the system stability that you rigs somehow achieve........ clearly CL is on intel's secret list of approved builders :P :P

Could you prepare me a quote on what you think would be the most appropriate gpu from that list and also in your opinion should I be looking at replacing the mobo,ram and possibly the ssd along with the gpu? or should that wait until the cpu upgrade?, or even is that mobo, ram and ssd okay?

If you feel any other bits should be done with the gpu (ram,mobo,ssd etc) can you plz include that in the quote too.

I am going to go the patient tried and true way this time.... (CL)

Offline Thomas - CL  
#4 Posted : Thursday, 15 February 2018 9:26:12 AM(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Groups: Administration, Member
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Morning DnaLunchie,

For the resolution you are aiming for I would go with the GTX1070ti, if you are planning on going for a higher resolution in the future I would consider the GTX1080ti or potentially one of the newer Ampere cards coming out around April this year.

The parts I would go for personally are as follows.

http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=29943

http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=27852

Your Motherboard will support the 7700k if you decide to go down that route (as it would be the cheapest upgrade) whereas if you move to coffeelake you will need a new motherboard.

Your RAM will work regardless so it can be the last thing to upgrade.

I would replace the SSD with either the 500GB or 250Gb 960 EVO as you have an untapped resource on your board, the M.2 will dramatically speed up your system and can be moved over to a new motherboard in the future.
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
860 Evo 500GB + 4TB HHD & 6TB HDD
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast