Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Jannis  
#1 Posted : Friday, 2 February 2018 9:44:51 a.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Groups: Member
Man

Hi team!

My current build is below, except for the addition of an SSD and the newly added 1080Ti (bought at CL), the rest of the system is still in the original configuration as purchased and built by CL in 2013.

I have noticed that when I have games such as The Division running, I can have all the details on Ultra and get stable 60+ FPS but my CPU is at 100% utilisation and the entire computer becomes unresponsive at times causing the game to lag (no fps drop, just not reacting to my mouse/keyboard input anymore) until it recovers when the CPU utilisation back down to a 75-95% range.

To be fair, The Division might be horribly optimised and it is the only title I have experienced this so far in, that being said, I am thinking about options to get around this.

So, given the current build (below), what is the best upgrade path for me?
Do I need to replace the motherboard to be able to get a more recent CPU and with that replacement I would also need to get new RAM that fits the new mobo?

Tips and pointers appreciated :)

Budget is pretty flexible, more interested in a meaningful upgrade that will last a few years than saving a few bucks now.

Current Build: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/vXwnm8

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - Z87-Deluxe ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston - Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan
Monitor: Asus - PB278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-02 09:46 NZDT+1300
Sponsor
Offline Computerlounge  
#2 Posted : Friday, 2 February 2018 10:50:04 a.m.(UTC)
Computerlounge

Groups: Administration
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Hey.

Your current machine is still really good. If you want to upgrade you will need to do MB / CPU / Ram.

The gear (MB/CPU/RAM) you already have, you should still get a good amount for it as it is still good stuff.

If you want to have a good jump in performance you could go with: (Ideally the i7)

MB : http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=29816

i5 CPU: http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=29803

i7 CPU: http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=29801

16GB memory DDR4-2400 : http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=25180

16GB memory DDR4-3200 : http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=25620

When it comes to current Intel CPU's memory speed does not make a massive difference, it is really only more important in current AMD Ryzen configurations.

Obviously you should be trying to run your games from the SSD as well and not from your storage drive. Ideally when you can afford it you should drop in a NVMe M.2 drive as they are around 5 times quicker than you current SSD. But that is more luxury than anything.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards
Paul

Edited by user Friday, 2 February 2018 11:14:50 a.m.(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Jannis  
#3 Posted : Friday, 2 February 2018 11:22:32 a.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

Thanks Paul!

The games are all on the SSD :) but those NVME drives look interesting, never really looked into them much before. Would you get a 1TB one and load the system + games on there or have the OS on the SSD and just the games themselves on a 512GB NVME?

I'd probably look at going all in, with mobo, i7 + DDR4-3200 RAM.

How significant is the difference between those RAM speeds? I will likely go top end anyway since the difference in price is fairly small but curious as to how much it matters these days.

Generally speaking, would you actually recommend going Ryzen instead of Intel? Since I'm getting a new mobo anyway, I am not necessarily locked into Intel though I have only ever had Intel CPUs in the past :)

I would probably be looking at the full upgrade (NVME maybe not right away) and having it all installed by CL too, what would be the cost of that?
While the PC is in the shop with you, could you also look at OCing the CPU and GPU for me? I seem to be incapable of moving sliders and not having my system crash :)

Cheers!
Offline Thomas - CL  
#4 Posted : Friday, 2 February 2018 12:31:28 p.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Groups: Administration, Member
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Afternoon Jannis,

Personally, I would have the OS on the M.2 with all my open world games that will benefit more from the faster Drive, the remainder can stay on the standard 2.5' SSD.

The difference between RAM speeds is real world maybe 1-3 frames in most games per 200mhz bump in speed, from 2400 to 3200 you could see 4-12 frames potentially.

In terms of performance, I would say the 8700k is slightly above the 1800x (maybe 5-10%) real world as wel las most games favouring single core performance which ill usually give the 8700k a greater advantage, this may change after Aprils new AMD CPUs but at this current time Intel still holds the top position.

Please have a look over the below quote and let me know your thoughts.

UserPostedImage
Offline Jannis  
#5 Posted : Friday, 2 February 2018 3:19:34 p.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

Oh right, so the faster speed of the drive will mostly be helpful to reduce texture pops etc when there are no dedicated load screens etc.

Maybe adding a ~500GB one wouldn't be such a bad idea then, that should be enough for Win 10 + a couple of AAA titles while I keep the rest as is.

Which NVME drive would you recommend?
Offline Thomas - CL  
#6 Posted : Friday, 2 February 2018 4:36:37 p.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Afternoon Jannis,

That's it exactly, open world games, as well as procedurally generated games really do like the speed offered by M.2 drives.

I would recommend this Samsung 960 Evo drive https://www.computerloun...entview.asp?partid=27852

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, 2 February 2018 4:59:35 p.m.(UTC)  | Reason: Added quote

Offline Jannis  
#7 Posted : Monday, 12 February 2018 11:37:06 p.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

Hey Thomas,

I've given this some thought and would be keen to get this sorted.

Has anything in the last 10 days changed in terms of components or are the ones you have here still the best upgrades right now?
Do you have any promos or specials you could apply to give me a bit of a deal on this lot?

Many thanks,
Jannis
Offline Jannis  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, 14 February 2018 2:16:44 a.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

On another note, which one is the best 1440p 144Hz+ non-TN panel display?

Given all the upgrades and my 1080 Ti I am wondering about getting into the 144Hz monitor domain.
Currently looking at the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q, are there any good competitors?
Offline Thomas - CL  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, 14 February 2018 9:43:51 a.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Morning Jannis,

Stock wise the majority are still fine, we will just need to order in a 960 EVO 500GB.

Cheapest 144Hz monitor would be the VIEWSONIC XG2703-GS, though I would personally pay the extra and grab the XB271HU in the absence of the Asus PG279Q.

ViewSonic - http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=28101

Predator XB271HU - http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=25888

The Asus PG279Q, In my opinion, is still the best option as the out of the box picture quality (and usually build quality) is superior.
Offline Jannis  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, 14 February 2018 10:00:03 a.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

Thanks for the reply Thomas,

In terms of the EVO drive, how long would it take to order in?
I'd like to drop my PC off this Saturday so you guys can do your thing.

Alternatively, would the 1TB EVO or 512 PRO series NVME be in stock now?

In terms of the monitor, I'd probably go with the Asus one but might have to see what the total of this all comes to before making a call on that now or leaving it for a later purchase :)
Offline Thomas - CL  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, 14 February 2018 5:02:42 p.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Afternoon Jannis,

ETA would be 1-2 days, 3 worst case scenario.

512GB Pros are in stock https://www.computerloun...entview.asp?partid=27849

Offline Jannis  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, 14 February 2018 8:01:19 p.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

Hey Thomas,

Motherboards
Was just comparing the ASUS Z370-F to the ASUS Z370-E and the Z370-G and it seems the difference is that the E version has Wifi on it?

If the boards are all equally good in terms of performance/quality/features/heatsinks/connectivity otherwise, which board would you recommend that has onboard wifi? (Doesn't have to be the Z370-E/G)

Power Supply
You might recall the drama that was having the 2+6pin PCI-E for my recent purchase of the 1080Ti :)

Given all that, since you are already in there and take everything apart while putting the new components in, I was thinking I should maybe grab a new PSU while we're at it (and this time not lose all the cables).

Something modular, silent and 850W so I have headroom if I want to add another 1080Ti for SLI in a few years (pipedream?)

What would you recommend, I'm probably leaning towards an EVGA one since I've heard nothing but good things about those?
The Corsair RM850x or the EVGA Supernova G2 850W seem both good, are there any major differences?

UPS
This is definitely not something I'm in the market for right now, but which UPS could handle a system like this with 2x ASUS 27" PB278Q screens too?

Cheers,
Jannis

Edited by user Wednesday, 14 February 2018 8:04:58 p.m.(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Thomas - CL  
#13 Posted : Thursday, 15 February 2018 9:52:24 a.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Morning Jannis,

I would say the Z370-E is the most reasonably priced ATX Wi-Fi motherboard, the Z370-G may look a bit odd in a mid tower case as it is a mAtx.

In regards to power supplys, I agree with the choice of EVGA as they are very reliable, the 850wG2 would be my first choice, with stock as it is though you will need to upgrade it to the P2 (platinum efficiency).

The RMX850w is a gold rated Power supply which is perfectly fine it is just a lower tier unit so may be a little louder than the P2.

For a UPS you are likely looking at around 1000W for a bit of future proofing for the system and monitors, these will set you back around $1000-1200 for a good model.

http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=22174

Offline Jannis  
#14 Posted : Thursday, 15 February 2018 12:48:34 p.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

Okay cool, can you put together a price for what we discussed, including the Z370-E and EVGA P2 PSU please.

In terms of stock levels, (I know it's a first come first serve situation) but I am looking at dropping it off this Saturday and picking it up on Friday morning.
So if you think we cannot get the 500GB EVO in time, I will either go with a 1TB EVO or 512GB PRO (is there much of a difference performance wise?)

Also, in context of the timeline, is getting the 850W G2 in time an option? If the P2 is the same quality/better I don't mind paying extra for it though.
Offline Thomas - CL  
#15 Posted : Thursday, 15 February 2018 1:54:55 p.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Afternoon Jannis,

The 960 should only take us 1-2 days so that shouldn't be an issue, that time frame should be fine as well.

The 850w G2 we should be able to get in within 1-2 days as well.

The G2 is a tier down from the P2, though both will be suitable for your use so that's entirely up to you.

Please have a look over your updated quote below.

UserPostedImage
Offline Jannis  
#16 Posted : Thursday, 15 February 2018 2:45:11 p.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

Looks good!

I take it there is no chance for any sort of discounts or specials to apply here? :)

How do I go about ordering this lot, pay when I pick up my PC next Friday or pay up front now online?

In terms of the Overclocking, can you help me understand what that entails?

I'm assuming it's just CPU and GPU or do you overclock RAM too?

Since some of the OCing is software based (EVGA Precision for instance for the GPU) will you guys install Win 10 on the NVME, set everything up and then I unlock the trial version of Windows with my key when I get the PC back?
Offline Thomas - CL  
#17 Posted : Thursday, 15 February 2018 3:13:41 p.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Afternoon Jannis,

I have snuck in discounts on most of the items for you where possible :)

I did discount the installation and warranty as there was no OS install if you would like that it would need to go up to $149.95 and you can drop off the key to us when you drop the pc off :)

Overclocking is for RAM and CPU as they are done via the Bios, GPUs we don't usually touch as it is software within windows, though I can ask if they could do that for you as well.

I will create a special order link for you with the discount prices once I know 100% which PSU you would like and what kind of installation.
Offline Jannis  
#18 Posted : Thursday, 15 February 2018 3:32:37 p.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

Right on, thank you :)

I reckon we should go with the P2 PSU if it's simply a better version of the G2. I'm assuming the P2 also has the "no fan" "eco mode" thingy so it's silent when there is no load at all?

As for the Windows installation etc, I generally would've done that myself, the only weird thing is with the GPU that every time i touch any slider in EVGA Precision and run Heaven Benchmark the program instantly crashes, and outside of the benchmark, trying to use a minimal OC profile and game (Path of Exile, The Division, etc) just freezes the entire system. Given the cost of that GPU I wonder if the unit is defective.

By having you guys use the software OC at least I could see if it's user error on my part, or maybe something unrelated (fault on the mobo or PSU not supplying enough power etc) or if it is an actual hardware issue with the GPU.

What do you reckon?

Edited by user Thursday, 15 February 2018 3:34:17 p.m.(UTC)  | Reason: System freezes mentioned.

Offline Thomas - CL  
#19 Posted : Thursday, 15 February 2018 4:02:32 p.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Afternoon Jannis,

If it is a hardware fault at least we can confirm that for you which makes the RMA process a bit easier for you.

If it's software the fresh windows install should set it right :)

Here is your special order link currently http://www.computerloung...der-dynamic.asp?spid=729

Edited by user Thursday, 15 February 2018 4:06:49 p.m.(UTC)  | Reason: Special order link added

Offline Jannis  
#20 Posted : Thursday, 15 February 2018 4:08:01 p.m.(UTC)
Jannis

Man

Yes that's my thinking too, so let's go with that option. At least I walk away next Friday knowing exactly what's what :)