Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PalmyTradie  
#1 Posted : Friday, 29 December 2017 1:38:17 PM(UTC)
PalmyTradie

Groups: Member

I bought ASUS VS239H-J 23" 5ms LED IPS Monitor 3 years ago. Still works well though I find I have to enlarge word documents etc,
Since I now have glasses & I'd like a bigger screen so I can see easier, Also my glasses have progressive lenses & I find when using the monitor they darken slightly, I'm unsure if its from the monitor or from light through the window behind me so a Bright monitor would be great. Current monitor is set to max rightness
The Monitor sits a lil over an arms length in front of me.

I don't know much about monitors, until 3 years ago I've always had laptops.

Few Questions
1 - Is G-Sync for Nvidia cards a gimmick or worth buying a supported monitor?
2 - Is curved better or just a preference?
3 - My 23"s native resolution is 1,920x1,080, what native resolution should I be aiming for in a 27" monitor? Or does the Native resolution not matter to much?
4 - Will I notice a difference between full HD (What I have) & 4K? (Keeping in mind with glasses my eyes are good but not great)

I gather I should be looking for <5ms response time, 60mhz or <, IPS or PLS for brightness, Anti-Glare as I have a large window to my right & behind me

I know this is cheeky but pbtech have a massive sale & they're 1.5 hours away, wheres CL (WHo I bought my computer off) will prolly take over a week to deliver with new years & that, though if CL has what I need I'm happy to wait
Is https://www.pbtech.co.nz...Wide-Full-HD-IPS-Monitor a good choice?
Sponsor
Offline Thomas - CL  
#2 Posted : Thursday, 4 January 2018 9:02:06 AM(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Groups: Administration, Member
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Morning PalmyTradie,

I will answer and help out the best I can :)

1 - G sync is a very handy technology as it syncs your Nvidia GPU and Monitor to prevent screen tearing and stuttering, this only tends to occur in gaming when the output source doesn't quite match up with your monitor, for every day use you would not need this feature.

2 - Curved is a bit of both, I would mainly say preference, though when the monitor starts to increase in size a curve helps maintain a better image by retaining a nice viewing angle. So it's not needed but is nice to have.

3 - Personally for a 27' I would be looking at a 1440p or "2k" monitor as the image is quite sharp at this higher resolution, 4k would probably be a bit overkill at this size.

4 - Same as above, the difference between "2k" and "4k" at that size is fairly hard to see and probably won't be worth it.

The LG monitor you have linked is quite a nice one though is still a 1080p monitor (in height) it is an ultrawide so has a higher horizontal resolution so is extended.

We have the same monitor available via our website that we can order in though this may be a bit late as you had contacted us while we were shut.

https://www.computerloun...entview.asp?partid=28804

Let me know if you are still after this monitor or any advice.
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
860 Evo 500GB + 4TB HHD & 6TB HDD
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast
Offline PalmyTradie  
#3 Posted : Friday, 12 January 2018 6:49:49 PM(UTC)
PalmyTradie

Hi, Thanks for your reply & for your answers, however I'd already bought one.

So rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd continue this one.
I got a new monitor, A Samsung 27" Curved gaming Monitor ( http://www.computerloung...entview.asp?partid=29903 )

Over the last few months (Before I got my new monitor) I've been having to play games on low-Med settings for some games, which isn't a biggie.
With the new monitor & it's 144hz refresh rate (Old monitor was 60hz) that some games have started stuttering badly even with all settings on minimum.
I've changed the refresh rate to 100hz which has somewhat fixed the issue.

I assume I need to upgrade the graphics card or ram

Would anyone be able to tell me

1 - Should I upgrade atm? (Or is the stuttering from something else?)
2 - What things should I be looking to upgrade soon?
3 - What should I upgrade first?
4 - What would be the best value of what I should upgrade? (ie the graphics card that gives me the best bang for my buck/gaming compared to price), Ideally $300-$500, but happy to go higher
5 - If I'm looking at getting a graphics card first, my monitor has AMD FreeSync, I've always used Nvidia, Would it be better to get an AMD?

My Specs are

Intel i5-4670K 3.4ghz
16gb ram (Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4gb) [4 cards total])
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2gb

DxDiag here https://www.scribd.com/document/368974972/DxDiag

Edited by user Saturday, 13 January 2018 3:05:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Thomas - CL  
#4 Posted : Saturday, 13 January 2018 3:03:56 PM(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Afternoon PalmyTradie,

What frequency have you got your 4670k overclocked too? As if you are above 4Ghz that should be able to sustain a consistent frame rate.

The GTX770 isn't too shabby as it is roughly the same as a GTX1050ti so to upgrade that you would be looking at at least a GTX1060.

Your RAM is also (speed wise) not much of a limiting factor, maybe try push that to 2000Mhz?

If this is still a little choppy maybe try removing two sticks of RAM and testing and cycle through to make sure it isn't a faulty stick.
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast
Offline PalmyTradie  
#5 Posted : Saturday, 13 January 2018 3:25:29 PM(UTC)
PalmyTradie

Thanks for the reply, I haven't overclocked for fear of killing something.

If the gpu is still average, Maybe I should ask my IT mate to overclock it next time he's over?

Daniel

Edited by user Saturday, 13 January 2018 3:26:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Thomas - CL  
#6 Posted : Monday, 15 January 2018 8:30:16 AM(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Man
New Zealand

Morning palmyTradie,

I would give overclocking both a go (the CPU for sure) and see what happens to your performance.
GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
4790k @ 4.8Ghz
16GB HyperX @ 2400Mhz
GTX 1080ti Strix
S340 Elite Hyperbeast