Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zephr  
#1 Posted : Monday, 6 August 2018 3:24:36 PM(UTC)
Zephr

Groups: Member
New Zealand

Hi, I have some pretty major issues, and I need to know what my best course of action is.

After putting off the major 2017 windows security update for as long as I could, (because every time I installed it, it caused the windows ui to crash within 10 minutes of logging in.) It forced me to let it proceed by becoming more and more invasive, and eating up my bandwidth to download and install itself.

Once it installed the same problems with crashes occured. I tried to clean reinstall windows, but every time it would fail.

After unplugging my C drive to see if it was the culprit, I get a windows error stating that your pc/device needs to be repaired. A required device isnt connected or cant be accessed. Press f8 for recovery and start up settings.
Pressing F8 would result in the screen flickering and nothing else happening.

After plugging it back in, it refused to boot, instead giving me a black screen saying: Reboot and select proper boot device, or insertboot media in selected boot device and press a key.

So then I tried to install windows 10 on another of my hard drives, using a usb formatted as windows install media.
It shows up in the BIOS, and I arrange it to boot first, but nothing seems to happen. I get the same error messages.

I then take my computer to someone with more resources, and they try and boot off of another hard drive with windows 10 already on it, and that doesnt work. But if they plug in a drive with windows 7 installed, it does boot.

Does this mean my BIOS is corrupted? Or is it too out of date for windows 10? My motherboard is from 2013, and I'm not sure if I remember updating the BIOS in the past few years.

What can I do about this? Do I need a new BIOS chip? Do I need a new motherboard?

Sponsor
Offline Cameron - CL  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, 8 August 2018 12:29:58 PM(UTC)
Cameron - CL

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Zephr,

It is best you back up all data such as files, photos, documents, etc. (anything that is important) before it becomes too late to access any of this data as a result of attempting to fix these issues.

Your motherboard should definitely be compatible with Windows 10. I would recommend to do a BIOs update to the latest version. This will ensure the compatibility, stability, etc. is optimal with your system :)

Once you've done this BIOS update, I would recommend to reinstall windows completely. The reason the USB/drives may not be showing in BIOS is very likely because of the format of the USB or the BIOS settings. I would recommend to do a BIOS update and load optimized defaults. If your USB is not showing in BIOS with NTFS format, try FAT32 and vice versa.

In theory, these steps should be what you need to do to get it all in working order again :) If problems still persist after this, please let us know

Regards,
Cameron
Offline Zephr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, 8 August 2018 2:18:02 PM(UTC)
Zephr

New Zealand

Hey Cameron, All my critical stuff was backed up before I started trying to reinstall windows.

I could only perform a bios update with a drive with win 7 installed so I guess I could try that.

As for the USB, I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding me.

It Does show up in BIOS

I can change the order, even read the files (not right now, as boot able media is treated as an install disk) and the format is definitely correct fat32, I couldn't install windows on any other format) to allow the boot media to work properly, and be registered by the bios.

The problem is that when I boot it just seems to skip right past it.
Offline Cameron - CL  
#4 Posted : Thursday, 9 August 2018 10:18:40 AM(UTC)
Cameron - CL

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Zephr,

You should be able to update the BIOS regardless of the operating system installed unless you're using an executable provided by the manufacturer to update it. In that case, they may only have the tool available for Windows 7. Nonetheless, give that a go :)

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding something. You can see the drive in BIOS, read the files, etc. but cannot boot to it? NTFS is generally the correct format you want a bootable usb to be in but FAT32 should work nonetheless. If you're having trouble booting to the drive via the boot order, it would be best to try to boot it via the bootable devices hotkey. For Asus, this is normally F8, for MSI, this is normally F11 and for Gigabyte, this is normally F12.

If you can do this but it is skipping right passed it as mentioned in your previous message, then it will mean that the bootable usb is very likely not created correctly. The easiest way to do it is to use the Microsoft Tool here: https://www.microsoft.co...tware-download/windows10 by clicking "Download tool now"

Please keep in mind that this will erase all content on the USB

Regards,
Cameron
Offline drak00  
#5 Posted : Friday, 7 December 2018 1:59:33 AM(UTC)
drak00

Originally Posted by: Zephr Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I have some pretty major issues, and I need to know what my best course of action is.

After putting off the major 2017 windows security update for as long as I could, (because every time I installed it, it caused the windows ui to crash within 10 minutes of logging in.) It forced me to let it proceed by becoming more and more invasive, and eating up my bandwidth to download and install itself.

Once it installed the same problems with crashes occured. I tried to clean reinstall windows, but every time it would fail.

After unplugging my C drive to see if it was the culprit, I get a windows error stating that your pc/device needs to be repaired. A required device isnt connected or cant be accessed. Press f8 for recovery and start up settings.
Pressing F8 would result in the screen flickering and nothing else happening.
https://subwaysurfers.vip/ , https://psiphon.vip/ , https://hillclimbracing.vip/
After plugging it back in, it refused to boot, instead giving me a black screen saying: Reboot and select proper boot device, or insertboot media in selected boot device and press a key.

So then I tried to install windows 10 on another of my hard drives, using a usb formatted as windows install media.
It shows up in the BIOS, and I arrange it to boot first, but nothing seems to happen. I get the same error messages.

I then take my computer to someone with more resources, and they try and boot off of another hard drive with windows 10 already on it, and that doesnt work. But if they plug in a drive with windows 7 installed, it does boot.

Does this mean my BIOS is corrupted? Or is it too out of date for windows 10? My motherboard is from 2013, and I'm not sure if I remember updating the BIOS in the past few years.

What can I do about this? Do I need a new BIOS chip? Do I need a new motherboard?

So then I endeavored to introduce windows 10 on another of my hard drives, utilizing a usb organized as windows introduce media.

It appears in the BIOS, and I mastermind it to boot first, however nothing appears to occur. I get a similar blunder messages.

I at that point take my PC to somebody with more assets, and they attempt and boot off of another hard drive with windows 10 as of now on it, and that doesnt work. In any case, on the off chance that they plug in a drive with windows 7 introduced, it boots.

Does this mean my BIOS is defiled? Or on the other hand is it also obsolete for windows 10? My motherboard is from 2013, and I don't know whether I refreshed the BIOS in the previous couple of years.

What would i be able to do about this? Do I require another BIOS chip? Do I require another motherboard?

Edited by user Friday, 7 December 2018 11:33:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified