Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Alex Hau  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, 22 August 2018 5:27:10 PM(UTC)
Alex Hau

Groups: Member

'm wondering if there's a way in Windows 10 to setup an external backup drive to detect any changes to files on my machine to be backed up as soon as it's plugged in. To explain this in point form, I'd like to:

1) plug in my back up drive.
2) The drive (or some utility) automatically scans key files and folders to check for changes (added, modified, or deleted files).
3) Any changes it detects get backed up.

In step 2), when I say "key" files, I mean only files I want backed up, not everything on my machine.

Do I need a special kind of hard drive for this?

Is there an online guide on how to set this up?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Offline Cameron - CL  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, 28 August 2018 1:44:24 PM(UTC)
Cameron - CL

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Alex,

Unfortunately in Windows 10, there isn't software that I'm aware of that does this automatically. There may be a third-party bit of software out there that does this but none that I am aware of.

The only thing I can think of is hardware related but also requires your drive to be plugged in at all times. That would be a RAID 1 array. This will however require you to completely erase all data on both drives in order to set up so it's probably not a viable option for you. Nonetheless, this is the only option I am aware of to somewhat achieve what you are after

Regards,
Cameron
Offline PriorSteve  
#3 Posted : Thursday, 22 November 2018 7:44:45 PM(UTC)
PriorSteve

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Alex Hau Go to Quoted Post
'm wondering if there's a way in Windows 10 to setup an external backup drive to detect any changes to files on my machine to be backed up as soon as it's plugged in. To explain this in point form, I'd like to:

2) The drive (or some utility) automatically scans key files and folders to check for changes (added, modified, or deleted files).

In step 2), when I say "key" files, I mean only files I want backed up, not everything on my machine.

Thanks.

Cameron says that right.
As far as I have heard, two applications are known to do that.
For entire system: Easeus Backup tool: https://www.easeus.com/b...ive-when-plugged-in.html
for emails: Mail Backup X: https://medium.com/@mailbackupxtool/mail-backup-x-for-mac-e846e0bb988

both the applications are available for Mac and Windows.

Offline Cameron - CL  
#4 Posted : Friday, 23 November 2018 3:59:59 PM(UTC)
Cameron - CL

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi PriorSteve,

You're definitely right. These applications look like they do the trick. I have used Ease-US in the past, but not the Mail Backup X software but both look pretty good. Thank you for recommending them to the OP :)

Since then, I have actually found a way to do this which is in-built into Windows. If you have more than one drive in your system, you can use Disk Management to set up a drive to clone files. However, it's a clone limited to software which in a way, kind of defeats the purpose. Even though it is a clone, because it is a software-level clone, I'm sure you will experience issues should the main drive fail. Similar to the third party software. Unfortunately it's just the nature of how software clones are. You can definitely get the data back either way, but not easily/conveniently from what I can understand. It may require you to go to a data recovery center which can be quite expensive and timely.

Admittedly, I have not had to recover data off of a software cloned drive so data could be a lot easier to retrieve than I imagine but as a raid array is far more accurate and data is important, the RAID clone is the safer option.

In saying that, RAID arrays can be pretty similar when it comes to recovering the data, but definitely a more accurate 1:1 clone which is why I definitely think a RAID array is the way to go if the data you're backing up is important.

Hopefully this helps out :)

Regards,
Cameron
Offline drak00  
#5 Posted : Friday, 7 December 2018 1:57:40 AM(UTC)
drak00

Originally Posted by: Alex Hau Go to Quoted Post

Thanks.

'm thinking about whether there's a route in Windows 10 to setup an outside reinforcement drive to distinguish any progressions to documents on my machine to be upheld up when it's connected. To clarify this in point frame, I'd jump at the chance to:

2) The drive (or some utility) naturally filters key records and envelopes to check for changes (included, altered, or erased documents).

3) Any progressions it recognizes get supported up.

In stage 2), when I say "key" documents, I mean just records I need supported up, not everything on my machine.

Do I require a unique sort of hard drive for this? https://tgw.onl/hostgator/ , https://tgw.onl/dreamhost/ , https://tgw.onl/bluehost/

Is there an online guide on the most proficient method to set this up?

Much appreciated.

Edited by user Friday, 7 December 2018 10:47:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified