Computer Lounge
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline 1randomkiwi  
#1 Posted : Monday, 31 August 2015 12:48:27 p.m.(UTC)
1randomkiwi

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 38 post(s)
| Logitech G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel Review |

Logitech G29

The successor to the well respected Logitech G27 has arrived.
The G29 and G920 racing wheels have just been released by Logitech and both work on PC.
The G29 is compatible with PS3/PS4/PC and the G290 with Xbox One/PC.

As I personally own a G27 I will be taking a close look at the differences between the two and the reasons to upgrade to the G29.

Logitech G29

The first difference is that the G29 doesn’t include a 6 speed manual shifter out of the box.
Whilst this was included with the G27, the newer wheels have moved most of the buttons onto the wheel for easier access and decided
to make the Logitech Driving Force Shifter an optional extra which sells for around NZ$80. This is slightly surprising when the G29
cost more than it’s older brother.

Pedal Unit:

Logitech G29

The pedal unit hasn’t changed much with the familiar throttle, brake and clutch combination laid out identically to the G27.
The red highlights have gone in favour of black, yet the quality construction remains.
With the specially designed carpet grip or rubber feet, the unit stays in place on most surfaces yet still has mounting for a proper
simulator setup.

Logitech G29

The clutch and throttle feel much the same but the brake is quite different. Far less travel than the G27 but a nice firm feel allows
for quicker reactions. The non-liner feel took some adjusting to get used to with a light tap hitting around 60% brakes with a
reasonable pressure needed to reach 100% on the sensor.

The Wheel:

Logitech G29

Logitech hasn’t changed much internally but there isn’t any need too. When they say that you “Feel every weight shift, and tire slip”,
they aren’t wrong.

Logitech G29

The feedback is excellent, you can feel the car dip and dive through corners and undulations in the road surface and ride over bumps,
rumble strips and jumps. It’s amazing how the wheel transfers the feel beyond your hands to give a better simulator experience.

The input is precise and smooth, no matter what your driving style. The internal gearing of the wheel allows fast and fluid movement
with a full 900 degrees of rotation. And when set correctly in your favourite racing sim, you’ll notice the difference.

Logitech G29
Logitech G29

The control layout take some getting used to. The paddle shifters are in an easily accessible position and feel exact when clicked.
However, even with larger hands, the buttons on the wheel’s face can be difficult to reach when racing. The buttons do have a quality
feel to them when pressed, which is an improvement over previous Logitech wheels.

Which brings me on to the construction. Logitech continues to impress me with the build quality on their range of products and the G29
is not different. Holding on to the wheel is comfortable, natural and solid thanks to the use of hand-stitched leather, aluminium and
stainless steel.

Logitech G29

The mounting options are well thought out and have been transferred from the G27. C or L clamps can be used to secure the wheel to a
desk or table and bolt holes are also offered for mounting to a simulator unit.
Logitech has mentioned that older versions of the shifter module will work with the G29 and this is something that I have tested with
the G27 shifter. The six speed shifter itself works but unfortunately and expectedly the buttons on the shifter unit aren’t detected.

In Game:
I tested the G29 in a number of games including Project Cars, Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally.
Whilst the wheel has just come out, a few games already recognise the wheel, with others requiring some manual setup.
The G29 was great fun to use. The wheel was responsive and direct, the pedals felt natural and the feedback from the games made the
experience very enjoyable. Paired with a set of headphones or surround sound speakers, this was a fantastic simulator setup.

Logitech G29

Final thoughts:
The G29 is a welcomed addition to the wide range of racing wheels and offers a quality racing wheel at a reasonable price.
If you're looking for a wheel the G29 is definitely a hot contender, but if you have a G27 already there is no reason to upgrade.
Combined with a good racing game or simulator, this is endless entertainment and highly recommended.

You can order your Logitech G29 here: http://bit.ly/CL-25283

Edited by user Tuesday, 30 August 2016 2:27:21 p.m.(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 1randomkiwi for this useful post.
ThePointoNZ on 2/04/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Phillip Lyons  
#2 Posted : Saturday, 31 March 2018 5:55:15 a.m.(UTC)
Phillip Lyons

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing the review brother! I am also looking to buy steering wheel for my PS4. I have a question about the Logitech G29 that whether I have to pay extra for the pedals? I am talking about the ones in the picture below.

Logitech G29
Offline Thomas - CL  
#3 Posted : Thursday, 5 April 2018 10:27:35 a.m.(UTC)
Thomas - CL

Groups: Administration, Member
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Morning Phillip Lyons,

The Pedals are included with the wheel in the base package, the optional extra is the Force shifter which is available for an extra $70 as below.

https://www.computerloun...entview.asp?partid=25283

https://www.computerloun...entview.asp?partid=25289